patch to build glib with automake 1.6/1.7

I have attached a patch to bug 74706 that gets glib HEAD to build with automake 1.7:
    http://bugzilla.gnome.org/showattachment.cgi?attach_id=14674

With this patch, I was able to successfully complete a "make distcheck", which uses a readonly source directory with newer automakes. Some of the interesting parts of the patch include:
  - autogen.sh changed to use automake 1.7 or 1.6.  It also calls
    libtoolize and gtkdocize.
  - some cleanups in the configure.in script.  We already require newer
    autoconf's, so may as well make use of it.  The
    GLIB_AC_DIVERT_BEFORE_HELP() stuff isn't really needed anymore.
  - fix documentation makefiles to use the gtk-doc.make file installed
    by gtkdocize.
  - fix up the po/Makefile.in.in file's update-po rule to work okay
    during distcheck (uses some of the rules from newer gettext's).
  - fix up "make uninstall" and "make distclean" so that they remove the
    corresponding files.  This is needed to make distcheck pass.
  - replace some uses of @foo@ with $(foo) in the makefiles.  This
    allows Automake can do a better job warning about undefined
    variables where it matters.

What do you think of these changes?

I know it is out of the question to apply all of this to the glib-2-2 branch, but is there any chance of applying the po/Makefile.in.in fixes to the branch? Without those changes, Gnome 2.4 packages using glib-gettextize are going to have trouble distchecking with recent automakes.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/