Re: Thoughts about a new GdkPixbuf interface

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 13:28, gtk-devel-list-request gnome org wrote:
Gustavo said:

>   It's just my opinion, but don't you think this really belongs in Gtk
> at all? GdkPixbuf becomes quite complex with these, and I suspect (but
> haven't checked) there are separate libraries that do this already. 99%
> of applications don't need affine transformations, you know... Scaling
> is quite enough.

For most apps, maybe.

Remember, this discussion is about API, not implementation code.

GdkPixbuf is already sophisticated, but the API limits the ways in which
it can be used.  If we can extend the API in a way that allows better
interoperability with other libs, or better, cleaner integration for
apps that do need more than just scaling, then we're doing something
very appropriate for GdkPixbuf IMO.  At the moment the limitations of
GdkPixbuf make it tempting for apps to invent their own structures and
APIs for doing pixmap operations, and that's not good.

If we leave GdkPixbuf's implementation set more-or-less as-is (which is
what I think Owen is suggesting, except for rotations) then I don't
think your argument has any substance.  And I personally think adding
rotations is something worth the extra code; but even if we didn't add
rotation code to GdkPixbug, I think we should extend the API so that
other libs and applications can do so cleanly.

-Bill

--
Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>