Re: A proposal for units in GTK+

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 10:40, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> The Microsoft UI guidelines define, iirc, a Dialog Length Unit (DLU) on
> which they base their spacings.  I don't recall the definition offhand.

The Windows Interface Guidelines for Software Design
Microsoft Press
ISBN 1-55615-679-0
Page 386:

"The system defines the size and location of user-interface elements in
a window based on dialog box units, not pixels. A /dialog box unit/ is
the device-independant measure to use for layout.  One horizontal dialog
box unit is equal to one-fourth of the average character width for the
current system font.  One vertical dialog box unit is equal to
one-eighth of an average character height for the current system font.
The default height for most single-line controls is 14 dialog box
units."

Any spelling/typing errors are mine as I've hastily re-typed this.

Cheers,

--
Andy Jeffries
Technical Director            Internet Assist Ltd