Re: Odd behaviour when building on Win32 using MinGW

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 18:52, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> Michael Torrie writes:
>  > I've taken to using the development kit at
>  > http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk-win
>
>  > It integrates well with mingw.
>
> Umm, what's wrong with the stuff at www.gimp.org/win32/downloads.html?
> Is the gtk-win distribution so much easier to install than the
> zipfiles I provide?

That is probably a good idea.  I like the packages that gtk-win makes,
though, for distributing my programs.  The runtime files are nice and
contained.  Gaim/Win32 uses their runtime build package.  Regardless of
whether you use the original Lillqvist files or the gtk-win files, the
resulting exe's run fine with either the dlls as available on your site,
or the gtk-win site.

The one caveat I've run into is that your libintl packages are newer
(which is nicer) but I will need to distribute the newer libintl dll.
gtk-win seems to take your files and repackage them, so this is a
non-issue shortly.

Anyway, I would like to request, or suggest that the gtk community
standardize on one general-purpose runtime setup.  This is for the
end-user, not the developers. I like how the gtk-runtime.exe installer
package from gtk-win works.  It installs to a common place (well
arbitrarily common).  Your dlls are currently hard for me to use because
I can simply place them in system32 or system (and possibly face DLL
hell) but then I was at a loss as to how to set up the /etc and /share
stuff needed for themes and things until I saw how the gtk-win package
installed it.

Anyway, I don't mean to slight your work in any way, since you are the
official win32 developer.

Michael