Re: Table menu patch for GtkMenu

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 00:35, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Am Son, 2003-08-03 um 03.24 schrieb Kristian Rietveld:
> > Oh, I forgot to mention this in my previous mail. The "algorithm" to
> > decide to which menu item to move to isn't very good right now (as you
> > also noticed ;). So I am wondering what exactly the "expected" behaviour
> > is. I am sure some people have input on this, so I can implement it.
>
> The minimal requirements are being able to go from the left edge of the
> menu to the right edge by pressing the right arrow often enough...the
> only other thing I'd expect is to keep an overall horizontal direction.
> A very simple approach would be to look at the first cell occupied by
> the current item and visit all items occupying the same row/column in
> order.

Ok, I think I got this right in my current code.

> Two more questions regarding table menus:
>
> * How does your code handle submenus attached to items which don't
> extend to the right edge of the menu ? There is a conflict between
> "right arrow moving into the submenu" and "right arrow moving the right
> neighbor in the table".

Yeah, the conflict is a little bit unfortunate. The way I solved it is
that you can *only* activate submenus in the right edge of the menu.
There's no way to support submenus in other places in the table menu
with the right arrow key. And I also think that having submenus in a
multi-columned table menu is slightly crack/bad UI design.

> * Do we need vertical separators in menus ? I guess we do, if we want to
> allow columned menus ?

Hmm, that might be nice. I have no problems volunteering to implement
it. My proposal is to add an "orientation" property to
GtkSeparatorMenuItem. That should be enough to support vertical
separators in table menus.

	-Kris