Local colormaps

Hi

I'm new at this list, I joined because I'm working on an application
using the GTK and I got some strange situations I cannot solv myself.

Well, the application is rather simple, I have an graphic area (such as
an GtkImage or GtkDrawingArea. When the program are listening to an
camera I'm building, it should continously receive images and display
them in the graphical area.

Well now to the problem. First I need to modify the colormap for the
graphical area to fit with my grayscale camerachip, ie I want 256 gray
levels in my graphical area. Next I need to view this on different
computers. One that were using only handles 16 bit colorscheme and the
other have the usual Truecolor settings. I don't know how  to accive
this, and I hopa that someone of you wnat to help me andterstand the
toolkit.

Second which widget is best suitable when having large framerate, ie the
image needs to be updated about 30-60 times per sec. I thought about
using the GtkImage widget and send it a GdkImage on each update, is this
suitable or would a GdkPixmap generate less traffic on the X-server ???

Best reagards
Mattias

--
Mattias