Accessing the accel_path of widgets

In the context of an IDE we are developing, we would like to have a
window that summarizes all key bindings, including the menu shortcuts.
This window should allow the user to easily modify all of those.

One of the difficulties we have is that there doesn't seem to be a
function to get the accel_path that was set for a menu_item.
_gtk_widget_get_accel_path is not a public function, and thus shouldn't
be used by applications, even if on linux libtool authorizes this. It
doesn't work on Solaris for instance.

Is there any reason why this function isn't public ?

regards,
Emmanuel