Re: G_BROKEN_FILENAMES not working for GtkFileSelection?

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 14:54, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 05:10, Sven Neumann wrote:
>
> > > Even if I turn on G_BROKEN_FILENAMES, GTK+ complains on the console
> > > about this filename and doesn't include it in the directory list in
> > > GtkFileSelection.
> >
> > What is your locale setting?
>
> For GtkFileSelection,
>
> LANG			G_BROKEN_F off		G_BROKEN_F on
> en_US.iso885915		doesn't work		works
> en_US.UTF-8		doesn't work		doesn't work
>
> With iso885915, Nautilus displays the directories just fine.  With
> UTF-8, it displays "le_myst?re_des_voix_bulgares (Invalid Unicode)" ---
> I can live with that, and it allows me to rename files easily.  If I go
> into the directory, the location bar shows
> "file:///home/federico/ogg/le_myst%E8re_des_voix_bulgares", but file
> operations work fine inside the directory.  The problem seems to be only
> in the GtkFileSelection.

Put quickly, GTK_BROKEN_FILENAMES *only* is about the encoding that
GLib takes for files on disk.

 off - UTF-8 always
 on  - Encoding of locale

It has nothing to do with the handling iles that don't conform to this
encoding.

Fixing GtkFileSelection to handle misencoded filenames would be
much work, and is unlikely to happen. New file selector will
try to do something like Nautilus, where there is a distinction
between the "display name" which is UTF-8, and the filename on disk,
which is a byte sequence.