Re: About dialog API

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 17:40, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 11:11, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > Maybe we have a different definition of "not too bad." :-)
> > (The above isn't too bad to write once for someone who
> > knows GObject, but making everybody using GnomeAbout
> > do it!)
>
> But we are not, or are we ? The last API proposal was
>
> void       gtk_about_dialog_show     (GtkWindow    *parent,
> 				      GdkPixbuf    *logo,
> 				      const gchar  *name,
> 				      const gchar  *version,
> 				      const gchar  *copyright,
> 				      const gchar  *comments,
> 				      const gchar **authors,
> 				      const gchar **documenters,
> 				      const gchar  *translator_credits);
>
> not
>
> void       gtk_about_dialog_show     (GtkWindow    *parent,
> 				      GdkPixbuf    *logo,
> 				      const gchar  *name,
> 				      const gchar  *version,
> 				      const gchar  *copyright,
> 				      const gchar  *comments,
> 				      GValueArray  *authors,
> 				      GValueArray  *documenters,
>				      const gchar  *translator_credits);

My last API proposal was:

 gtk_about_dialog_show (GtkWindow *parent,
                        ...);

Where the ... is passed to g_object_new(), though I don't think
I ever saw a response to this from you.

I really dislike the 9 argument form above, and it just
gets worse if you add build ID, license expiration date, etc.
I'm pretty sure we need an extensible API of some sort.
There were a couple of alternatives that I liked less in
that mail.

> or are you complaining that you can't do
>
>   const gchar *authors[] = {
>     "Peter Mattis",
>     "Spencer Kimball",
>     "Josh MacDonald",
>     "and many more...",
>     NULL
>   };
> g_object_set ("authors", authors);

It bothers me to have parameters that are a big pain
to use from g_object_set/get, though that wasn't my
primary concern.