Re: Accessibility issue with EggToolbar

> > I am trying to figure out how we can tell a blind user that the
> > button with the arrow is displayed.
>
> Why do that? The arrow is there to overcome a visual limitation, not to
> provide a command or to hide information. The blind user doesn't suffer
> this limitation, so he should be able to proceed as if the window were
> wide enough to display all the toolbar items.

Some blind users (and use cases) require the ability to determine what's
actually on-screen.  'flat screen review mode' is one way of interacting
with the UI which some blind users will desire.

Also, since the arrow is actionable it needs to be exposed to the user
(and to ATK) somehow.

> which cannot be displayed all at once because of limited screen size.
> By contrast, disclosure triangles are used to hide information which is
> either less important, more confusing, or deeper in a hierarchy.

Scrollbars and disclosure triangles need to be exposed via ATK somehow:
in some cases via only their associated 'actions', in some cases as
actual UI components.

Also, realize that blind users especially benefit from different 'levels
of significance' in a UI; putting some toolbar widgets behind a
disclosure triangle can do this in effect for sighted users by only
exposing a subset of toolbar items "until the arrow is pressed".  Thus
the information about 'visible' versus 'not visible', and the presence
of the disclosure triangle or arrow, serve a useful purpose for the
blind user as well as the sighted.

regards,

Bill