Re: Accessibility issue with EggToolbar

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:04:44AM +0100, Padraig O'Briain wrote:
> I have been looking at the situation where a toolbar contains more
> items that will fit so a button containing an arrow is displayed to
> allow access to the extra toolbar items.
>
> I am trying to figure out how we can tell a blind user that the
> button with the arrow is displayed.

Why do that? The arrow is there to overcome a visual limitation, not to
provide a command or to hide information. The blind user doesn't suffer
this limitation, so he should be able to proceed as if the window were
wide enough to display all the toolbar items.

Scrollbars serve the same purpose; they allow visual access to information
which cannot be displayed all at once because of limited screen size.
By contrast, disclosure triangles are used to hide information which is
either less important, more confusing, or deeper in a hierarchy.

It seems unfair to impose the limits of the sighted upon the blind.

Cheers,
Greg