Re: pkg-config v/s gtk-config

Dirk,

gtk+-1.2 and gtk+-2.0 aren't compatible, you cannot just replace
gtk+-1.2 with gtk+-2.0 and recompile (ie the application must have been
ported to gtk+-2.0, and in that case, the developpers will modify the
configure script so that it will invoke pkg-config properly)

For example, gimp-1.3.x (unstable developpment branch) uses gtk+2.0
while gimp 1.2.x (stable branch) still uses gtk+-1.2

If you plan to port your application to gtk+-2.0, you can use

    CFLAGS=`pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --cflags`
    LIBS=`pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --libs`

in place of gtk+-1.2 that was invoked like :

    CFLAGS=`gtk-config --cflags`
    LIBS=`gtk-config --libs`

in your Makefile. But, usually, porting an application to gtk+-2.0 is a
lot more than just replacing the compilation flags ;-)

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Olivier.