pkg-config v/s gtk-config

Hi there,

I installed gtk+-2.0.6 and now I want to install some more packages like
gimp, gaim and so on.

As i am running (for example):
"./configure --prefix=/opt/pd/Programme/gimp-1.2.3 --enable perl --enable
python"
all i receive is a message like:
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.8... no
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
configure: error: Test for GTK failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.

well, the INSTALL file is still talking about gtk-config...

as i found out in the web after a long stroll today i have to use pkgconfig
instead. But how?

It wont work like
"pkg-config --libs --cflags gtk+-2.0.6 > ./configure
--prefix=/opt/pd/Programme/gimp-1.2.3 --enable-perl --enable-python"
or just running the pkg_config string
"pkg-config --libs --cflags gtk+-2.0.6"
and after it the configure string.

The pages i found all tell me to use pkg-config, but not how to use it
together with configure.

I have set the Path Variables and so on, like
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH, CPP_FLAGS that i have found in the various
README and INSTALL Files, but how to tell the configure to use the
infromation of pkgconfig?

That question is propably very trivial for the most of you, on the other
hand i didn't find any answer nowhere but more often some other asking questions
in that direction.

Anyway, thanks a lot....

Bye, Dirk.

http://www.gmx.net