Pango-1.1.2 development release
- From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
- To: gnome-announce-list gnome org, gtk-devel-list gnome org, gtk-i18n-list gnome org
- Subject: Pango-1.1.2 development release
- Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 13:13:22 -0400 (EDT)
Pango-1.1.2 is now available for download at:
This is a development release leading up to Pango-1.2; no further
API additions are anticipated before Pango-1.2, but there is no
guarantee of stability at this point. This package is ABI and API
compatible with the public API in Pango-1.0.x.
The major change since Pango-1.1.1 is improvements to the Win32
backend by Tor Lillqvist (also in the Pango-1.0.5 release). There
is also a new wrap mode for PangoLayout done by Alex Larsson
and various bug fixes and improvements.
Pango is a library for layout and rendering of text, with an emphasis
on internationalization. Pango can be used anywhere that text layout
is needed; however, most of the work on Pango-1.0 was done using the
GTK+ widget toolkit as a test platform. Pango forms the core of text
and font handling for GTK+-2.0.
Pango is designed to be modular; the core Pango layout can be used
with four different font backends:
- Core X windowing system fonts
- Client-side fonts on X using the Xft library
- Direct rendering of scalable fonts using the FreeType library
- Native fonts on Microsoft backends
Dynamically loaded modules then handle text layout for particular
combinations of script and font backend. Pango-1.0.0 ships with a wide
selection of modules, including modules for Hebrew, Arabic, Hangul,
Thai, and a number of Indic scripts. Virtually all of the world's major
scripts are supported.
As well as the low level layout rendering routines, Pango includes
PangoLayout, a high level driver for laying out entire blocks of text,
and routines to assist in editing internationalized text.
More information about Pango is available from http://www.pango.org/.
Pango depends on version 2.0.0 of the GLib library; more information
about GLib can be found at http://www.gtk.org/.
Changes between 1.1.1 and 1.1.2
* Add a new wrap mode for PangoLayout - PANGO_WRAP_WORD_CHAR [Alex Larsson]
* Win32 work [Tor Lillqvist]
- Handle choosing the right font for CJK languages based on language tags.
- Fix boxes showing up for tabs [Florent Duguet]
- Better handling of finding ASCII font names.
- Cygwin compilation fix [Masahiro Sakai]
- Fix --with-included-modules on win32 [Arnaud Charlet]
- Various build fixes and cleanups
* Indic module improvements [Eric Mader]
* Fixes to generic OpenType handling [Eric]
* Improve language specific charset ordering basic-x11 [James Su, Brian Yuan]
* Some merges of fixes by Werner Lemberg to the original
FreeType OpenType code.
* Robustify and otherwise improve pango_color_parse() [Matthias Clasen]
* Some cross-compiling fixes [J. Ali Harlow]
* Bug fix for pango_scan_int() needed for recent GTK+.
13 October 2002
] [Thread Prev