- From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
- To: gtk-list gnome org, gnome-announce-list gnome org, gtk-app-devel-list gnome org, gtk-devel-list gnome org, gtk-i18n-list gnome org
- Subject: Pango-1.0.5 released
- Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 13:08:48 -0400 (EDT)
Pango-1.0.5 is now available for download at:
The main change in this release are extensive improvements to
the Win32 backend by Tor Lillqvist. There are also various minor
bug fixes as well. It is source and binary compatible with
Pango is a library for layout and rendering of text, with an emphasis
on internationalization. Pango can be used anywhere that text layout
is needed; however, most of the work on Pango-1.0 was done using the
GTK+ widget toolkit as a test platform. Pango forms the core of text
and font handling for GTK+-2.0.
Pango is designed to be modular; the core Pango layout can be used
with four different font backends:
- Core X windowing system fonts
- Client-side fonts on X using the Xft library
- Direct rendering of scalable fonts using the FreeType library
- Native fonts on Microsoft backends
Dynamically loaded modules then handle text layout for particular
combinations of script and font backend. Pango-1.0.0 ships with a wide
selection of modules, including modules for Hebrew, Arabic, Hangul,
Thai, and a number of Indic scripts. Virtually all of the world's major
scripts are supported.
As well as the low level layout rendering routines, Pango includes
PangoLayout, a high level driver for laying out entire blocks of text,
and routines to assist in editing internationalized text.
More information about Pango is available from http://www.pango.org/.
Pango depends on version 2.0.0 of the GLib library; more information
about GLib can be found at http://www.gtk.org/.
Changes in version 1.0.5
* Win32 work [Tor Lillqvist]
- Handle choosing the right font for CJK languages based on language tags.
- Fix boxes showing up for tabs [Florent Duguet]
- Better handling of finding ASCII font names.
- Cygwin compilation fix [Masahiro Sakai]
- Fix --with-included-modules on win32 [Arnaud Charlet]
- Various build fixes and cleanups
- Make mini-xft find windows font directory automatically
* Bug fix for pango_scan_int() needed for recent GTK+.
* Improve language specific charset ordering basic-x11 [James Su, Brian Yuan]
* Fix symbols that shouldn't have been exported [Jacob Berkman, Nils Nordman]
* Some cross-compiling fixes [J. Ali Harlow]
* Various build fixes [Havoc Pennington, others]
* Fix check for no backend being found. [Andreas J. Guezlow]
13 October 2002
] [Thread Prev