Re: [Usability]Re: 2.1.3 plans

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 05:38:55PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> "Matthias Clasen" <Matthias Clasen poet de> writes:
>
> > Speaking about freezing...
> >
> > bug 65765 would also be nice to get in before the freeze, unless you don't
> > count additional stock icons as API change.
> > I can provide a patch, if you tell me
> >
> > a) whether you prefer the icon with or without the keyhole
>
> Can't help you there. That is a decision for the artists
> and usability folks.

Keyhole, please.  It might look like there isn't really a way to "unlock"
without it.

Locks without keyholes are used to indicate web page security, so far as
I've seen.

> > b) whether GTK_STOCK_AUTHENTICATION is good enough as name
>
> The patch has GTK_STOCK_DIALOG_AUTHENTICATION... do we see
> this dialog as being used only for dialogs?
>
> I'm sure people will be tempted to use it for menu items,
> buttons, etc. If we think that usage is inappropriate,
> then the DIALOG name makes sense. If we think it is OK,
> then dropping the DIALOG probably makes sense.
<snip>

I think it's inappropriate. Menu items, buttons, etc. which invite the
user to provide authentication should use a key or keyring icon - IMO.

Questions for usability gnome org   (I think these are for beyond 2.2)
  Should we have stock icons for keys/keyrings?
  What about for something like web page security?
    (E.g., state of office document encryption)