Extending GtkTextView to display part of a GtkTextBuffer

Hello,

I'm thinking of writing a widget that views part of a GtkTextBuffer.  The
widget would be similar to GtkTreeView except that instead of displaying all
the text, the widget would display only text between two GtkTextMark widgets.

Besides looking at the source code and Havoc Pennington's "Gtk+/Gnome
Application Development", does anyone have any suggestions on how I might
proceed?  I've developed applications using c/c++ and various GUI toolkits, but
I've never written a widget.

Thanks,
Alban