scrolled window scroll bars

Hi,

I do this some code and then this:

	if (orientation == java_awt_Adjustable_HORIZONTAL)
		adjustment =
gtk_scrolled_window_get_hadjustment(GTK_SCROLLED_WINDOW(data->scrolledWindowWidget));

	else adjustment =
gtk_scrolled_window_get_vadjustment(GTK_SCROLLED_WINDOW(data->scrolledWindowWidget));

	if (adjustment != NULL)
	{
		adjustment->page_size = (gfloat)pageSize;
                adjustment->lower = (gfloat)0;
                adjustment->upper = (gfloat)max;
                adjustment->value = (gfloat)value;
		gtk_adjustment_changed(adjustment);
	}

The emission goes to the viewport but never gets to my scrolledwindow. There is a widget in the viewport in
the scrolledwindow which is smaller than the viewport size. When the policy is AUTOMATIC, the scrollbars
never go away, I tracked the visibility testing code to gtkscrolledwindow.c {
gtk_scrolled_window_adjustment_changed }, but whenever a "changed" is performed this function never gets
called. What do I have to do in order to ensure that this function and thus my scrollbars come and go?

How do I make the scrollbars work properly with a scrolledwindow?

Thanks heaps,

Peter.