Re: control-arrow to move focus

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Calum Benson wrote:

> Murray Cumming wrote:
>
> > The the TreeView seems to be broken in this respect. Have you tried it?
>
> You're quite right, there's an inconsistency here if you use my
> description of what Ctrl+arrowkeys should do-- this is because the
> treeview follows the existing Nautilus multi-selection model (arrows
> select and focus at same time, Ctrl+arrows moves focus without
> selecting), rather than the one we initially proposed at
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/keynav/gtk_lists.html.
>
> I'm kind of coming around to the treeview model though-- it does make
> sense if and when we have a full-blown tree view within Nautilus,
> because then it's consistent with the existing Nautilus icon/list
> views.  (And imposing our originally-proposed treeview selection model
> on the Nautilus icon view wouldn't really work).
>
> So perhaps a more accurate description of the general 'arrow keys'
> philosophy is:
>
> Arrowkeys: moves focus in given direction, selecting newly-focused
> object and deselecting all others
>
> Ctrl+Arrowkeys: moves focus in given direction without changing current
> selection; press Space to add it to or remove it from current
> selection.  (I've just noticed the 'press Space' thing doesn't work in
> Nautilus though, at least not in 1.1.11).

Works for me, in both icon and list view (cvs head).

> Shift+Arrowkeys: extend current selection in given direction
>
> This model doesn't map nicely onto text editing, unfortunately, where
> arrowkeys and ctrl+arrowkeys just move the cursor by different units
> (letters, words or paragraphs) without selecting anything.

I'm not sure this matters a lot. Text editing is clearly a different
situation, and a different behaviour here probably doesn't confuse much.

> > If I remember correctly, the plan was to use Ctrl-Down to open the
> > selected item, like on the Mac.
>
> Hmm, not sure I entirely like the sound of that though, I think
> Ctrl+arrowkeys should be restricted to two-dimensional movement.  Given
> our recent decision (WM raise/lower conflicts permitting) to use Alt+up
> for 'move up a directory', Alt+down would seem more logical for this
> 'drill down' function.  (Maybe using Shift or Ctrl as a toggle if we
> really want to distinguish between drilling down into the same/different
> window).

Yes. And this is what i ended up adding to nautilus.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a hate-fuelled Catholic paranormal investigator on the run. She's a
provocative streetsmart Hell's Angel with someone else's memories. They fight
crime!