Re: Thoughts on combo replacement

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 05:51:45PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> I don't really understand why having the history be a menu doesn't
> work.  And why having a "list" style color combo (selection with the
> selection color, base/text colors, etc) is bad.
The standard MS colour combo has 56 colours.
The KDE colour combo has about 100.
OpenOffice has about 120

Some have custom buttons & history, all have default/auto buttons
that are too large for a single colour swatch.

> The base question here is whether completion in entries should be at all
> integrated with the "combo" API, or should be completely separate.
> I think if you have a history dropdown, it shouldn't drop down with
> a different sort of list when completing, which argues for separation
> of the two functions.
Agreed.

> If row/column spanning items are useful, then we'd probably want to add
> table-like packing options to GtkMenu. Trying to to reimplement GtkMenu
> with a table sounds like a bad idea. (Though admittedly, most of the
> complexity of GtkMenu is submenus, and GnomeDateEdit aside, they are
> probably a poor idea for combo-boxes/option menus.)
That is a good point.  To me that is another point against making
combos into menus.  They feel like different objects.  Can anyone
think of a reason to have a submenu in a combo ?