Re: Thoughts on combo replacement

Joel Becker <jlbec evilplan org> writes:

> 	Given that the operations are "pop-up choices" and "set selected
> choice", we might want to consider generic API points that allow someone
> to set up their widget.  The person provides a widget to display or a
> function to call when the combo box's button is pressed, and the API
> provides a way for that widget to set the combo box's value when it's
> done.  This solves all the strange widgets without grid APIs and other
> stuff being added to the main widget.

I agree with your point that the operations of selecting from the list
is fundementally a menu-like operation. And I think that this suggestion
about the API (which is how the Gal widget works) directly goes against
that... if arbitrary content is added to the widget, there is no way we can
make it display or behave exactly like a menu.