Re: Rendering with xft and hinting

On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 15:34, Daniel Egger wrote:
> Am Son, 2002-03-17 um 20.22 schrieb Keith Packard:
>
> > Note that turning on the LCD improvements makes both of these problems less
> > severe -- taking advantage of the known geometry of the subpixels
> > effectively doubles the available horizontal resolution.
>
> I never managed to get subpixel AA running on my PowerBook. I tried to
> follow some explainations on the web but couldn't spot any difference.
> Also how do I figure out the layout of the subpixels? Googling didn't
> help finding an answer; I wish this feature was better documented... :/

You figure out the layout by looking really closely at the lcd screen.
;)  No kidding.  I use a magnifying glass and look at a pixel
(preferrably a white one next to a black one).  Some LCD screens are
RGB, others are GRB, etc.  Once it is set, with a magnifying glass you
should see the effect.  You can always take a screenshot and zoom way in
and if you see parts of a black line that are either reddish or bluish,
then it's working.  (Simplistic explanation.)

Michael