Re: Rendering with xft and hinting

Keith Packard <keithp keithp com> writes:

> For variable width text, I prefer Verdana -- the large x height and wide
> spacing make text very clear, even at smaller sizes.  The old MS Sans
> Serif seems too bold and narrow to me; much like the old "chicago" font
> from the macintosh.

I prefer Verdana too, but the Luxi fonts that come with XFree86 area
actually not bad. They just need decent hints instead of those
terrible, apparently autogenerated, ones they have currently.

> Feel free to compare Verdana in aliased vs anti-aliased:
>
> 	http://keithp.com/~keithp/download/aliased.png
> 	http://keithp.com/~keithp/download/antialiased.png

Here are two other shots:

        http://www.daimi.au.dk/~sandmann/alias.png
        http://www.daimi.au.dk/~sandmann/antialias.png

Notice in the antialiased version how some of the k has almost
disappeared and how the m and the a are too bold.

Søren