Re: GTK+-2.x planning

Gregory Merchan <merchan baton phys lsu edu> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 04:49:24PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > This mail is intended to get discussion going on a 2.x roadmap for
> > GTK+.
> >
> > As a strawman, I've taken 20 or so more or less major items (out of
> > 450+ bugs open in bugzilla for GTK+ alone), and distributed them among
> > version numbers.
> >
> > The schedule below would be shooting for a quick 2.2 release with
> > multihead and official win32 in a couple of months, a followup 2.4
> > fixing the most remaining major missing pieces (GtkFileSel, GtkCombo
> > replacements) next fall, and then a 2.6 sometime in 2003.
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> >  * What's missing? What do we need to do, that we _can_ do in
> >    2.x that isn't below? Feel free to be blue-sky, but blue
> >    sky stuff is at least 2.6, maybe 2.8 :-)
>
> Some of the things put for 2.6 below seem like they could be done by 2.2
> because there's already some existing code. Actually, it looks to me like
> the 2.4 and 2.6 lists are almost reversed. *shrug*

The 2.4 stuff is stuff I considered really important, whether or not
we have implementations or not. That filled up 2.4 pretty well, so I
ended up putting some stuff on 2.6 that might be closer ... partly just
to make my list look better, but also because even stuff where there
is already implementation isn't free to get tested and into GTK+.