Re: GtkSheet

On 12 Mar 2002, Cody Russell wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 19:31, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Once we've determined what the feature should be like, we would be
> > prepared to compare GtkSheet to the requirements, and see if starting
> > with GtkSheet makes sense.
>
> Does a GtkSheet widget really make sense for GTK+ distribution?  It
> seems like a cool widget, but it doesn't seem to me like one that would
> be very commonly used or useful to a vast number of applications.   It
> seems sensible to me that GTK+ should take the same sort of position as
> Glib with regards to having widgets and other things added.  Should GTK+
> be in the business of providing as complete as possible of a widget set,
> or should it be in the business of as useful as possible of a widget set
> for the majority of applications?

You mean maybe a basic table widget like the one included in QT, with the
basic memory management and very basic features. GtkSheet is not heavier
than gtkclist or ctree (actually I think is lighter). Besides, as I said
before, gtksheet has proven during the last two years to be very robust,
and adding it to the distro wouldn't require much work. OF course I don't
know what the team has in mind, it was a suggestion, and the gtksheet
support will continue regardless what, until an equivalent widget comes up
to replace it.
Saludos,
<ADRIAN>