Re: GTK+-2.0.0 release notes

On 11 Mar 2002, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Osku Salerma <osku iki fi> writes:
> > On 10 Mar 2002, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > > So basically you're saying no Windows users should care about
> > > keybindings they are used to, while simultaneously pitching a tantrum
> > > about keybindings you are used to?
> >
> > No, I'm saying I see no harm in both keybindings being in use all the
> > time. QT does it, motif does, everyone does it. I don't see why GTK
> > can't do it.
> >

> The harm is that Ctrl+a does different things! It can't do both.

Mark Mielke just posted that Ctrl+a does nothing in the url field on
IE.

To clarify what I'm after, I'm only talking about single-line
editboxes, not multi-line. I agree that having ctrl+a go to the
beginning of the line in multi-line text controls would be confusing
for windows users since they're used to it selecting everything in
text views. But it doesn't do that on single-line text controls, so
having ctrl+a and ctrl+e and home/end both work, always, on those
controls would please both crowds.

--
Osku Salerma - osku iki fi - http://www.iki.fi/osku/
Information wants to be free.