Re: filesel notes

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 01:04:22PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Thomas Leonard <tal00r ecs soton ac uk> writes:
> > Could I add the ROX GtkSavebox stuff to 'prior art'? It would be really
> > great for us to be able to have ROX-style saving in all Gtk apps (and for
> > ex-Windows users to have GNOME-style saving in ROX apps).
>
> Do you need special API additions to support the DND filesel?

Mainly, we need:

- The MIME type for the data (you'll probably need this anyway)
- A way to get the raw data (for sending to other apps) [1]
- Notification of when the save completes.

Basically, the savebox has to be involved in some way with actually doing
the save, not just providing a pathname which the application might use
for saving later on.

> I don't think the DND approach can be the default, because it's
> completely unusable for accessibility. But it could be a pluggable
> platform filesel just as the gnome-vfs one would be, I imagine.

Pluggable is what I'm hoping for. That said, some (but probably not all)
keyboard users might prefer Tab completion in an entry to messing about
with lists anyway...

[1] Some apps won't provide this, eg if they create a directory.

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r ecs soton ac uk		tal197 users sourceforge net