Re: filesel notes
- From: Thomas Leonard <tal00r ecs soton ac uk>
- To: gtk-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: filesel notes
- Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 20:16:51 +0000
On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 01:04:22PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Thomas Leonard <tal00r ecs soton ac uk> writes:
> > Could I add the ROX GtkSavebox stuff to 'prior art'? It would be really
> > great for us to be able to have ROX-style saving in all Gtk apps (and for
> > ex-Windows users to have GNOME-style saving in ROX apps).
> Do you need special API additions to support the DND filesel?
Mainly, we need:
- The MIME type for the data (you'll probably need this anyway)
- A way to get the raw data (for sending to other apps) 
- Notification of when the save completes.
Basically, the savebox has to be involved in some way with actually doing
the save, not just providing a pathname which the application might use
for saving later on.
> I don't think the DND approach can be the default, because it's
> completely unusable for accessibility. But it could be a pluggable
> platform filesel just as the gnome-vfs one would be, I imagine.
Pluggable is what I'm hoping for. That said, some (but probably not all)
keyboard users might prefer Tab completion in an entry to messing about
with lists anyway...
 Some apps won't provide this, eg if they create a directory.
Thomas Leonard http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r ecs soton ac uk tal197 users sourceforge net
] [Thread Prev