Re: broken accelerator changes

Luis Villa <louie ximian com> writes:

> On Sat, 2002-03-02 at 09:20, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > I don't agree that disabled by default means no one will find the
> > feature. When using GNOME it can be in a control panel or gconf key
> > somewhere, like other GTK settings. Old school users are already going
> > to have to learn to configure GTK in order to enable their Emacs key
> > theme.
>
> Sorry to hijack this thread, and sorry to have come to the game late,
> but how hard to do is this going to be? I ask because I guarantee that
> within 5-10 days of the final 2.0 release in rpm form, we'll (or rather
> you, since I don't touch gtk bugs as per Owen's request) get at least 20
> to 30 bug reports saying 'my shortcuts are broken.' I understand and
> support the rationale behind the change, but it _will_ be considered a
> bug by many old-school users if it is at all difficult to change it back
> to the old behavior.

 A) I'm good at duping incoming GTK+ bugs ;-)
 B) It will be in the release notes, along with 'gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"'
 C) It's not hard to change:

    Put "gtk-can-change-accels = 1" in your .gtkrc-2.0

    (It should be in the GNOME control center, but the GNOME-2.0.0 UI
    freeze porbably means it won't be for 2.0.0.)

  D) I don't think we'll see any fast explosion of bug reports from end
     users, there aren't that many apps out there, and most of the
     apps in the GNOME-2.0 beta with menus use bonoboui which doesn't
     handle changeable accelerators anyways.