Re: Nautilus broken filename compatibility

On 3/1/02 3:35 PM, "Owen Taylor" <otaylor redhat com> wrote:

> If neither is set, or they are set to C, then your charset is ASCII,
> and if anything works, you are just getting lucky or, to put it
> another way surviving because people have abused the locale facilities
> long enough that there are a lot of hacks around to work even when you
> don't have a proper locale.

OK. Well the reason I ask this is the hack in Nautilus to interpret
filenames. If a filename is good UTF-8, then there's no issue. Or if the
filename gets properly converted to UTF-8 by g_filename_to_utf8 because
G_BROKEN_FILENAMES is set, we're also fine.

But there's also code in there to say, "if it's not good UTF-8, then see if
we can decode it using the locale-specific character set". That's
specifically so that filenames that look good in the terminal don't look
wrong in Nautilus for pedantic reasons. It's used only on the display side,
not on the renaming side.

I could leave this hack out altogether, and it wouldn't bother me, but it
would bother others I think. If the hack *is* in there, it's really sad that
the compatibility hack is stricter than gnome-terminal! Any ideas on how a
good way to do better than g_locale_to_utf8 for this hack? I'd really like
to get past this and on to other things.

Even if I get this just right, I suspect that the other side (names written
out when renaming and copying) is going to cause trouble.

    -- Darin