Re: glib idea of what my charset is seems wrong

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:

> glib seems to think that my locale character set is ANSI_X3.4-1968. That's
> what I get from g_get_charset. But I have lots of files that use various ISO
> 8859-1 characters, and the rest of the tools, like gnome-terminal, seem to
> handle that.
>
> What's up?

echo $LANG ; echo $LC_ALL.

If neither is set, or they are set to C, then your charset is ASCII,
and if anything works, you are just getting lucky or, to put it
another way surviving because people have abused the locale facilities
long enough that there are a lot of hacks around to work even when you
don't have a proper locale.