GtkTreeView saves and stops editing only on button-press.

Hi,
I had an interesting problem in workspace switcher applet.
In the preferences dialog, if you changed a workspace name
and without a button-press closed the dialog, the name was
not reflected. It  turned out to be that the GtkTreeView
saved and stopped editing only after a button-press.
The preferences dialog was not destroyed but hidden.
I come to understand that gtk_tree_view_stop_editing would have
been helpful, but is private atm. It could be that many apps
would face similar problems in the future . Any ideas how we should
move ahead.

-Arvind