Re: Heads up on Pango HEAD

Erwann Chenede <Erwann Chenede Sun COM> writes:

Hi Owen,

Just to be sure I'm understanding of the implications are correct :

- pango has now a full dependency on fontconfig.
  (As a side question why is fontconfig using expat instead of libxml)

It only has a dependency if you want to build the FT2 or Xft backends;
so, yes for GNOME usage, it there is a dependency, but not in general.

It seems that we need libfontconfig.so at run-time whichever we want to use FT2 or Xft backends. What other files are required to install for run-time? etc/fonts.conf and
etc/fonts.dtd are perhaps. Anything else?

- pango has now a full dependency on xft.
  (which in turn as a dependency the XRender extension)

(by full dependency I mean configure stop if fontconfig.pc and xft.pc are not present on the system).

No hard dependency on Xft was meant to be added. (There might be bugs
in configure.in, of course.)

Yes, actually - I'm seeing one on Solaris build - after installing expat and fontconfig.

configure: error: Library requirements (xft >= 2.0.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so
    pkg-config can find them.

should it be in bugzilla?

Regards,
Toshi