Re: Heads up on Pango HEAD

Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Keith Packard <keithp keithp com> writes:
>
> > > I still find this never ending list of added dependencies for the *core*
> > > gtk very annoying. Not everyone uses GNOME, and not everyone uses Linux
> > > (or Solaris for that matter), so what about other systems ?
>
> ack.
>
> > I'm curious what system you are using that doesn't have Render now and
> > doesn't plan on having Render in the future?
>
> embedded systems for example. The GDK backend abstraction finally enabled
> people to use GTK+ without X11 which makes it suited for embedded devices.
> Unfortunately GTK+ development is still very X11-centric lately.
>
> I'd have been happy to see Pango use a backend-independent font
> configuration system that depends solely on GLib. With GMarkupParser
> we have a small XML parser in GLib that should be sufficient to
> implement a small and effective font configuration layer.

For better or worse, it's easier to get non-G-people to accept an
expat-dependency rather than a GLib dependency:

$ size /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0
   text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
 110307	  13140	      4	 123451	  1e23b	/usr/lib/libexpat.so.0
$ size /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
   text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
 405411	   3664	     68	 409143	  63e37	/usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0

(Plus GLib is LGPL and expat is BSD-style.)

I don't think the dependency on fontconfig is at all "X11-centric".