Re: Heads up on Pango HEAD

Hi,

Keith Packard <keithp keithp com> writes:

> > I still find this never ending list of added dependencies for the *core*
> > gtk very annoying. Not everyone uses GNOME, and not everyone uses Linux
> > (or Solaris for that matter), so what about other systems ?

ack.

> I'm curious what system you are using that doesn't have Render now and
> doesn't plan on having Render in the future?

embedded systems for example. The GDK backend abstraction finally enabled
people to use GTK+ without X11 which makes it suited for embedded devices.
Unfortunately GTK+ development is still very X11-centric lately.

I'd have been happy to see Pango use a backend-independent font
configuration system that depends solely on GLib. With GMarkupParser
we have a small XML parser in GLib that should be sufficient to
implement a small and effective font configuration layer.

Salut, Sven