Re: Heads up on Pango HEAD

Hi,

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Keith Packard <keithp keithp com> writes:
> > I would most willingly accept patches to fontconfig to make it also use
> > libxml2 if others are more interested in getting that running sooner than
> > I;
>
> I vote against these patches, they are dumb. You don't want to be able
> to build a library with two different ABIs depending on configure-time
> arguments. And you don't want to wonder which XML parser is involved
> when you get a bug report. Plus it's just a waste of time, expat works
> fine, is in practice already on everyone's system (for mozilla,
> abiword, python, perl...), and is small, etc. It seems to me that for
> simply parsing a config file expat is a much more appropriately-sized
> library than libxml anyhow.

just use GLib, it's definitely available everywhere where GTK+ is used.

It seems that GTK+ and XFree86 development go hand in hand, so why doesn't
XFree86 simply depend on GLib for fontconfig?

> If the dependency bugs people, cut-and-paste expat, it's been done a
> million times.

that'd be even worse since then the expat code could not even be shared
among processes that implement XML parsing by means of expat.

Salut, Sven