Re: Building gtk+ is a pain on HP-UX, Tru64, IRIX

Dear Owen,

Thanks for the replies.

>  - Non-Linux platforms are often old and don't conform to
>    current standards. (Building on HP-UX 11 should be easier
>    than on 10.20, etc.)

HP-UX 11 isn't supported on the 9000/720 hardware I have.

(Of course this begs the question, why does anybody want to use
 a ten-year old computer anyway.  It never crashes.)

Hmm, apparently something was fixed in gtk+ between 2.0.2 and 2.0.5 and
now it builds cleanly on IRIX 6.5 using gcc 3.0.3.  Attempting with the
MIPSpro kit, several warnings are presented while compiling gtkentry.c
and the compiler dumps core:

(there were maybe 20 warnings altogether, most of them 1185 (An
enumerated type is mixed with another type.))

cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=\"Gtk\"
 -DGTK_LIBDIR=\"/afs/bi/v/@sys/gnu/gtk/2.0.5/lib\"
 -DGTK_DATA_PREFIX=\"/afs/bi/v/@sys/gnu/gtk/2.0.5\"
 -DGTK_SYSCONFDIR=\"/afs/bi/v/@sys/gnu/gtk/2.0.5/etc\"
 -DGTK_LOCALEDIR=\"/afs/bi/v/@sys/gnu/gtk/2.0.5/share/locale\"
 -DGTK_VERSION=\"2.0.5\" -DGTK_BINARY_VERSION=\"2.0.0\"
 -DGTK_HOST=\"mips-sgi-irix6.5\" -DGTK_COMPILATION -I../gtk
 -I.. -I../gdk -I../gdk -I../gdk-pixbuf -I../gdk-pixbuf
 -DG_DISABLE_CAST_CHECKS -D_REENTRANT
 -I/afs/bi/v/@sys/gnu/glib/2.0.1/include/glib-2.0
 -I/afs/bi/v/@sys/gnu/glib/2.0.1/lib/glib-2.0/include
 -I/afs/bi/v/@sys/gnu/pango/1.0.2/include/pango-1.0
 -I/afs/bi/v/@sys/gnu/atk/1.0.1/include/atk-1.0
 -I/afs/bi/p/include -L/afs/bi/p/lib -Wl,-rpath,/afs/bi/p/lib
 -c gtkentry.c  -DPIC -o gtkentry.lo

cc-1185 cc: WARNING File = gtkentry.c, Line = 4034
  An enumerated type is mixed with another type.

        suggested_action = 0;
                         ^

cc-1515 cc: WARNING File = gtkentry.c, Line = 4059
  A value of type "guchar *" cannot be assigned to an entity of type "gchar *".

    str = gtk_selection_data_get_text (selection_data);
        ^

Signal: Segmentation fault in Code_Expansion phase.
Error: Signal Segmentation fault in phase Code_Expansion -- processing aborted
cc ERROR:  /usr/lib32/cmplrs/be died due to signal 4
cc ERROR:  core dumped

Back to HP-UX 10.20 and HP ANSI C:

> A) Is G_HAVE_ISO_VARARGS defined in configure.in?
> B) Can you figure out why it is getting defined
>    since you apparently don't have C99 varargs?

I compiled glib 2.0.1 with gcc, so it is defined in the glibconfig.h
that I was then using to compile gtk+, which explains this.

The reason for doing that was apparently that the glib configure was
unable to find a 64 bit type using the HP compiler.  The default
CFLAGS it uses are -Aa (strict ANSI mode).

I found that -Ae (extended ANSI mode) would enable long long, and
pre-setting CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS to "-Ae" got rid of this problem
and allowed building glib with HP ANSI C.

Also, there were some GDK X11 related problems when compiling gtk.
They seemed to go away if the /usr/include/X11R6 directory is
explicitly included.  (HP-UX 10.20 default X includes are R4.
R5 and R6 stuff are present but have to be explicitly mentioned.)

> If you find any problems, please report them in bugzilla.gnome.org;
> we can't guarantee that we'll fix them quickly, but we can't
> fix them if we don't know about them. :-)

(Well, I thought I was reporting them by sending them to the developers
 list.  Also, having to go to the hassle of creating endless user
 accounts at sites one might use once every year seems just a bit
 pointless to me.)

>> (process:16319): GLib-CRITICAL (recursed) **: file gstring.c: line 423: assertion `val != NULL' failed
>> aborting...
>
> Are you sure this is GLib-2.0.4? This should have been fixed to
> give a more useful error message by:

No, it's glib 2.0.1.  I'll upgrade and retry, and I'll also take note
of the libiconv issues you mentioned.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.