Re: gtk.immodules generation in cross-compile systems

On 2002.07.02 16:13 Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> J. Ali Harlow writes:
>  > The built gtk-query-immodules-2.0 runs quite happily but produces
>  > output that differs from Tor's version in a number of respects:
>
> The gtk.immodules I distribute is hand-edited... the /target/blahblah
> prefixes are edited there so that the code recognizes the compile-time
> prefix and knows to replace it with the run-time installation prefix.

Right, so it sounds as though I'm going to need to filter the output
of gtk-query-immodules-2.0 at install time to fix the prefixes. I can
live with that. Does anybody know off hand of a way to test whether
I have got this right for one or both of the two fields affected?
If not, I'll have a rummage in the source code in due course and find
something.

> I think the intention hardly was that a gtk.immodules file intended
> for inclusion in a binary distribution would be generated in a
> distribution-ready form by running gtk-query-immodules. I rather think
> that distribution builders are expected to set it up "manually",
> perhaps even automatically editing it at install-time depending on
> what locales and/or input methods the end-user has chosen to install
> on a particular machine.

So it sounds as though my proposed patch might be suitable, perhaps
with a slightly modified message to indicate that some editing of
the output of gtk-query-immodules-2.0 may be required.

How about:

***
*** Warning: gtk.immodules not built
***
*** Generate this file manually based on the output of
*** running gtk-query-immodules-2.0 on the host system
***

?

--
Ali Harlow                              Email: ali avrc city ac uk
Research programmer                     Tel:   (020) 7040 4348