Re: gtk_signal_* deprecated, finding marshallers

On 1/31/02 12:24 PM, "Evan Martin" <martine cs washington edu> wrote:

> I'm a bit confused about this, too-- the api docs say that gtk_signal_*
> is deprecated (which makes sense) but all of GTK still uses gtk_signal_*
> internally.

Yes, deprecated does not mean "is not used internally", but rather "should
not be used in new code". This is only one of many deprecated features of
gtk that are used inside gtk itself.

Eliminating all the uses of gtk_signal_* in gtk itself is not an urgent
priority, since it makes no difference for users of gtk. It does mean that
gtk source code is slightly less useful as a coding style example than
before though.

> I tried making a widget that supported the scrolling interface (be added
> to a scrollwin) and couldn't find a marshaller that took two objects.

With the gobject system, you are expected to create your own marshallers,
using the glib-genmarshal tool. I'm not sure where this is documented, but
libraries from libgnome to eel and programs like nautilus all do it.

    -- Darin