Re: The state of keyboard navigation

Calum Benson <calum benson sun com> writes:

> Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> >
> > The patch for paned keyboard navigation doesn't work very well. It is
> > possible to do much better, but there is a problem: Suppose we have
> > this construction:
> >
> >         ------  ------  ||  ------ ------
> >         | a  |  | b  |  ||  | c  | | e  |
> >         |    |  |    |  ||  ------ |    |
> >         |    |  |    |  ||  ====== |    |
> >         |    |  |    |  ||  ------ |    |
> >         |    |  |    |  ||  | d  | |    |
> >         ------  ------  ||  ------ ------
> >
> > double lines indicate a splitter bar, single lines are borders of
> > buttons (or other widgets). How would f6 navigation work in this
> > construction? My suggestion is
> >
> >         a->c->d->e->a.
> >
> > An alternative would be
> >
> >         a->c->d->a,
> >
> > but what should then happen if the user gives focus to e and presses
> > f6 a few times?

If we are doing the "remember last focused widget" behavior, then
maybe the behavior should be, starting from "e":

 e->a->e

And starting from "c":

 c->d->a->c->d.

That is, the algorithm when F6 is pressed is:

 - Walk up the widget heirarchy, for each paned widget found:

   If pane 1 is focused, focus the "last focused widget" in pane 2
   and terminate the algorithm

   If pane 2 is focused, focus the "last focused widget" in pane 1
   and continue the algorithm