Re: Changing the look of the GtkTreeView

Arnaud Charlet <charlet ACT-Europe FR> writes:

> Assuming that the theme machinery provides a way to do it, and this way
> isn't too complicated, that's fine with me. I'd still like to
> have some pointers on how to make the changes I've escribed.

I'm not sure what kind of changes themes can currently make. But
to make whatever changes are allowed you'd just write a theme.
A simple theme can be an inline C string parsed with
gtk_rc_parse_string(). More complex ones might have to be installed.

The gtk-engines package (I think only in CVS now, no tarballs) has
several examples. And see docs on GtkRcStyle.

> > Having half the apps one way and half a different way is plainly
> > inferior to having either of the ways deployed consistently, no matter
> > which way you think is best.
>
> That's a reasoning which applies to complete environment such as Gnome,
> not necessarily to stand alone Gtk+ applications.

You can just bundle a custom theme with those apps. Anytime the user
is using two GTK apps on a system though, the reasoning applies.

Themes aren't just cosmetic. They are used to provide high-contrast or
large-font displays for disabled users, used to match the native
platform look-and-feel, that sort of thing; there are very good
reasons why application binaries should not be locking down
settings. So we place the burden on those apps that wish to do so.

Havoc