Re: Changing the look of the GtkTreeView

Arnaud Charlet <charlet ACT-Europe FR> writes:

> I was wondering how you can change the look and feel of the
> GtkTreeView. In particular, I'd like to use the standard
> +/- icons to open/close a tree, have lines drawn vertically between
> items, and change the rectangles by custom icons. All the kind of basic
> things that was easy to do with Ctree in short.
>
> How is this possible with the TreeView ?

This type of modification should be done at the theme level.  With the
CList, we had each app author pick the mode that they liked most, rather
then have any consistent Look and Feel.  Currently themes can draw their
own expanders.  There isn't support to draw the lines currently, but
it's not hard to add to someone sufficiently

> Subsidiary question: why has it been decided to use this new default
> look and feel (strange rectangles, and no links between items) ? Seems
> less user friendly and less intuitive than the Ctree default to me, but
> if there are good reasons, I'd be interested to know about them.

I don't feel it's too strange, and it is very similar to the Macintosh
tree.  As I said, if someone wants to do the leg-work to make the tree
work with a windows-style tree, that's fine too.

Thanks,
-Jonathan