Re: broken accelerator changes

Thomas Leonard <tal00r ecs soton ac uk> writes:

> >  - I need to open up my menus, find the one that I accidentally changed
> >    to have 'n' as the accelerator, and while holding the menu open,
> >    press backspace over it.
>
> How about going back to the early 1.3 series behaviour, where you could
> set any key, but had to hold the mouse button down over the item while you
> pressed the key?

This strikes me as requiring vastly too much coordination ... it was
just a bug in the early 1.3 series.

> Or, have right-clicking on a menu item display a 'Press a key' box (some
> people might have trouble holding the button down and pressing a
> key-combo). Of course, there should be a way to do this from the keyboard,
> too.
>
> - Having the message box makes it very obvious what's happening.
>
> - Requiring the user to do something stops accidental setting of keys.
>
> - Consistancy between desktops.
>
> After setting the key, the menu should remain open (allowing me to set up
> all my favourite keys in one go).

This might make sense for 2.2, but needs to be done in the context
of some clean way of doing right-click menus on menu items, since people
want to do this for other things as well. ("Add this item to the panel
as a launcher")

Please file a bug so we can track the idea.

> The current system isn't too bad for us (ROX-Session acts as a settings
> manager and will simply set the feature on by default), but I don't like
> the new instructions on setting key bindings in the ROX-Filer Options
> box...
>
> 	"... except that Gtk+-2.0 users may find this doesn't work. In
> 	this case, you need to find your XSettings manager (eg,
> 	ROX-Session, or some other program) and configure this setting on.
> 	If you don't have an XSettings manager, you'll need to get one,
> 	and have it running all the time."

Well, it seems a little odd to be describing this in the ROX-filer docs,
(does every app describe it in their docs?). But you do realize that a
user can put:

 gtk-can-change-accels = 1

in your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 as a simple way of turning on the setting without
a XSETTINGS manager?