Re: GTK+-2.0.0 release schedule

Miroslaw Dobrzanski-Neumann wrote:

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 06:35:33PM +0000, Joel Becker wrote:

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:04:51PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

- Collect information about what platforms GTK+-2.0.0 will be expected
  to compile and work on.

	Ok, this is going to illustrate my strange biases, but if anyone
has an AIX box with xlc on it, I'll do any work required to verify/fix
the 2.0 build on AIX.  I'll even build AIX packages of the binaries like
I used to back in the day.

One word about runtime loading and libtool on AIX.

Starting from AIX 4.x there is an dlopen()/.. interface. It works fine. But for
some obscure reasons runtime loading is only partially supported when not
using the -brtl link option wich is available first on AIX 4.3 (-brtl does not
work with DCE); libtool does not use the -brtl option for linking. The
partially support especially means that dlsym() for a symbol located in main
module (executable) will not work.

There seems to be something in libtool.m4 that mentions -brtl. It checks to see if -brtl occurs in LDFLAGS, and if so sets aix_use_runtimelinking to yes (which it then checks while setting various link commands).

If libtool is not working for AIX, then you should report it as a bug (assuming you have tested with the latest libtool release).

So the gmodule test fails because it try to lookup a symbol in executable.

* If any component stick to g_module_open(NULL, ...) it will not work on AIX.
 h = g_module_open(NULL, ...);
 sym = g_module_symbol(h, "anything", ...);
 sym is always NULL

* Could module-test.c be rewritten not to use own symbols?

I think the aim of these tests is to see if those APIs work. Removing them sounds like it would defeat the purpose of having a test suite (especially if the -brtl flag you mentioned would make the test pass)

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/