announce: gtk 2.0 font glyph browser

I wrote a smallish program to let you browse around the available glyphs
(sorry if I'm not getting the terminology right) in a font.

I guess it resembles the Windows Character Map program, except it has a
lot fewer features. :)

It also derives the current Unicode block (as defined in
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Blocks.txt)
for your current offset-- as you scroll around, you can see where in the
Unicode definition you are.

Screen shots and source are available at
 http://neugierig.org/software/fb/
The code is terrible, and should not be used as a reference for any
budding GTK+ programmers. :)

I wrote this so I could visually inspect the coverage of my installed
fonts-- very few Unicode TTF fonts cover the CJK character set.
In fact, the only one I can find is one "Bitstream Cyberbit", which
seems to be officially no longer publically available
 (see http://www.bitstream.com/products/world/cyberbits/)
but you can grab a copy at
 ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/extras/fonts/windows/ .

...I hope someone else finds this useful...

--
      Evan Martin
martine cs washington edu