Re: Some initial thoughts about 2.4

 --- Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote: >
> Daniel Egger <degger fhm edu> writes:
> > Do you have any pointers or papers? This looks like an interesting
> > area for some research.
>
> I thought there was a whitepaper on Jakub Jelinek's prelinking stuff,
> but I don't see it in a quick search. There may useful docs in
> the prelink tarball:
>
>  ftp://people.redhat.com/jakub/prelink
>
> For object file reordering, I don't have reference off-hand but
> it shouldn't be that hard to dig something up.

Well, what you really want is to re-order functions, not object files.
How classicly you do this is that the compiler places each function in
its own section and then you thell linker how you want the sections
ordered within a segment. Though yes, if you can have only section per
object file and not function then it regresses to object file re-ordering.

The linker and libraries guide (http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/816-1386) has
all (or at least most) the gory details.