Re: GTK+ HEAD and Pango HEAD

Keith Packard <keithp keithp com> writes:

> Around 15 o'clock on Aug 2, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > (I'm pondering whether to use XAddExtension instead-of /
> > in-addition-to pango_xft_shutdown_display() ...  it would be nice to
> > clean up on XCloseDisplay() automatically, but on the other hand, I'm
> > bit worried about portability problems.)
>
> How would this introduce portability problems?  XAddExtension is a part of
> the Xlib spec and has been since 1987.

In my mind "if I haven't used it before, if I don't see it used
all over the place in other software, it's a potential portability
problem" ... too much hard experience with X stuff that really
should have been portable.

But, yeah, that statement was partly meant to provoke a response one
way or the other on the subject if anybody listening knew ;-).  If
it's been there since 1987, it's probably pretty safe to trust that it
will be there and (more of a question) working OK in all Xlibs.

Thanks,