Re: [Fwd: ORBit2 cross compiling.] - glib cross compiling

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 06:47:26PM +0200, Daniel Egger wrote:
> Am Mit, 2002-07-31 um 16.11 schrieb Owen Taylor:
>
> > What's blocking #77565 is simply the time for me to look at
> > it and understand the issues.
>
> The issues here are that it's impossible for a build machine to
> figure out what requirements have to be met for the target by running
> compiled programs because the host cannot execute them in most cases.
> Thus to crosscompile the sources the programmer has to create a
> config.cache which answers the open questions but this can be really
> a royal PITA.

IMHO Daniel is asking for too much.

Currently it is not possible to cross compile GLib without patching
configure.in, because it does not use config.cache for some
values. The straight forward approach to fix this is by adding
some AC_CACHE_CHECK calls.

The loop in configure.in for finding the correct thread libs
complicates the issue a bit. In the patch I posted the
testing/caching is IMHO correct, but the configure message
output doesn't look nice.

Another issue is with the glibconfig-sysdefs.h, which should be
provided by the cross-build setup, not regenerated by configure.

Additional niceness for cross compiling, like what Daniel suggests,
would be appreciated, but is not a primary concern.

Regards,
Johannes