Re: Trouble compiling Pango (Gnome 2b4)

Owen Taylor said:
> This means that Pango didn't find either FreeType libraries or
> the libraries, so it's not building any backend. (Pango-1.0.1
> was supposed to die with a configure error in this case, so I'm
> suprised that you got to this point.
>
> You probably need to install the freetype2 and Xlib development
> (-dev) packages.

Owen, you are the stud of the world. You get my Gold Star Award for
the week. :) Take a look at this bit of output from running
configure for Pango.
   checking for X... no
   configure: WARNING: X development libraries not found
   checking for freetype-config... no
   checking freetype/internal/tterrors.h usability... no
   checking freetype/internal/tterrors.h presence... no
   checking for freetype/internal/tterrors.h... no
   checking for FT_Get_First_Char... no

I am fairly certain that your fix for me is correct. HOWEVER, the
reason that I am still bugging you guys here is that I believe you
are ALSO correct in that configure SHOULD be failing in here
somewhere...
Let me go install the appropriate xlib/freetype2 development
packages and see if that helps...
  /me goes and does that...

Hmmnn. Interesting. All I installed was the xlib development
packages, no freetype stuff, and it compiled successfully. I got
this result for those lines from configure, this time:
   checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib,
                     headers /usr/X11R6/include
   checking for gethostbyname... yes
   checking for connect... yes
   checking for remove... yes
   checking for shmat... yes
   checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
   checking for freetype-config... no
   checking freetype/internal/tterrors.h usability... no
   checking freetype/internal/tterrors.h presence... no
   checking for freetype/internal/tterrors.h... no
   checking for FT_Get_First_Char... no

For some reason it threw some extra lines in there. Seems to STILL
not have found any freetype stuff - though that didn't halt the
compile. I'll go add the freetype dev packages and see what happens
then.
  /me goes and does THAT!

Ah. There was a little different output from configure...

   checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib,
                     headers /usr/X11R6/include
   checking for gethostbyname... yes
   checking for connect... yes
   checking for remove... yes
   checking for shmat... yes
   checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
   checking for freetype-config... /usr/bin/freetype-config
   checking for FT_New_Face in -lfreetype... yes

That was cool. So it apears all the freetype stuff WAS found now.

So, I hope this helps some. I don't know why configure didn't puke
when it didn't find Xlib development libraries, and just gave a
warning, but I am pretty sure it is a bug.
Is there some bug tracking database or whatnot that I should be
submitting this to? Sorry, but I am not up on the Gnome project
procedures.
--
Paul Joseph Thompson
captbunzo squirrelmail org