Re: Pango, true type fonts, gdk_font_from_description

RMDUVY aol com writes:

> Hi,
>
> Let me define my setup before expaining the problem.
> I have installed the following as shared libraries in a non-standard
> directory using prefex=mydirpath when I ran the ./configure files:
> gtk+-2.0.1, pango-1.0.1, glib-2.0.1, atk+-2.0.1.  I can compile and link run
> my test app with all shared libraries resolved.
>
> Problem:
> I am using the function gdk_font_from_description() to create a GdkFont using
> a true type font face name.  I can create a GdkFont when I use "Times New
> Roman" with a point size of 12.
> Code:
> PangoFontDescription* pfd = pango_font_description_from_string("Times New
> Roman");
> pango_font_description_set_size( pfd, 12);
> GdkFont* gdkFont = gdk_font_from_description( pfd ); // gdkFont is non-NULL
>
> However when I set a weight of bold into the PangoFontDescription, it fails.
> Code:
>
> PangoFontDescription* pfd = pango_font_description_from_string("Times New
> Roman");
> pango_font_description_set_weight( pfd, PANGO_WEIGHT_BOLD);
> pango_font_description_set_size( pfd, 12);
> GdkFont* gdkFont = gdk_font_from_description( pfd );  // ERROR gdkFont is
> NULL on return
>
> I have set the GDK_USE_XFT=1 ( not sure if this matters )
> I am at a loss.  Do I need to modify the pangowin32.alias files?  If so -
> how? If not then what?

GDK_USE_XFT won't matter if you are on Win32. :-)

Whtehr you are using Win32 or are using Xft,
gdk_font_from_description() is not going to work. It's basically just
a hack to get a little bit of interoperability between Pango running
on top of X fonts, and GdkFont, which is basically a thin and somewhat
screwed up wrapper around X fonts.