control-arrow to move focus

Holding down the control key while using the arrow keys "moves focus" in
GTK+. I'm not really sure what this is supposed to do.

For instance, in the gtk-demo, ctrl-arrow in the left-hand TreeView
moves an outline rectangle up and down the rows, but this doesn't seem
to be useful for anything. In the Dialog and Message Boxes example,
ctrl-arrow has exactly the same effect as arrow - it just moves the
selection to the next widget.

I'm asking because I'd like to use the Control key as a modifier key
when doing keyboard navigation in Nautilus list views.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net